Thursday, April 29, 2021

Final Exam Post and Presentation

 Blog #11

Nathaniel Bryant

April 30, 2021

Final Exam Post: My Digital Footprint

__________________________________________________________________________________

An idea most seem to forget is that the internet is permanent, especially in terms of keeping and logging data about you from searches and social media posts in relation to a person's "digital image" or "footprint". When being searched or observed on the internet, what a person does on the internet leaves a mark or "footprint" that is left there and be used and viewed by all who have access to it. In analyzing what a "digital footprint" is, it is paramount to discuss one's relationship with media and technology and how they interact. 

From my perspective, I would say my digital footprint is very small, at least compared to most. The role of media in my life is very limited. If anyone was to look me up, there would not be much to find. My role in social media is very small as I only have Snapchat and Instagram. Even though these two social media companies are very vulnerable and have limited privacy, I do not use either of them frequently. I have not posted anything on Instagram in over 7 years and I do not use it often. I've often considered deleting it as well. In terms of Snapchat, I do not post anything on my "story" to be viewed by others and it is not my primary source of communication. Social media-wise, the most open information on me is on my LinkedIn profile. I have my email, college location, my major, my resume, and my past works and accomplishments. I have tried to avoid platforms like Twitter and especially Facebook, which near infamous for its egregious infringements on user privacy. 

Despite not using social media much, there are other ways to be vulnerable and open enough online to leave a digital footprint. Another main concern involving how a user is portrayed or seen online is through a person watches their privacy online. Online user privacy, like Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook said, is no longer a "social norm". In today's online environment, the most dangerous information is not something you post openly, but it is what you don't post. 

Privacy is something violated constantly and is the "technological gold" of companies to use for profit by monetizing users' data for algorithms and ads. In regards to Mark Zuckerberg, and Facebook, which are a common example of how digital footprints can be more centralized on personal and private data. Rather than a bad photo of you in college with a bad tattoo resurfacing, it would be your credit card information, personal messages, the way you message people, buying patterns, and personal proclivities. This goes outside Facebook and is prevalent in many companies, and is how most make their profit. With this new refocus on how data is collected, it is important to watch where you stick your "digital foot" and to be able to know how to handle and combat these invasive methods.

In regards to my privacy, I have moved off of most major big tech companies or platforms where my
data is vulnerable. I have moved off of sites like Google, who even take information on incognito mode, taking private information and use it for monetization as well as shifting information accessibility. Google CEO, Sundar Pichai said in a court hearing that search engine information is algorithm-driven. The article on Observer by Sissi Cao explains it as "the fundamental reason for its biases is its artificial intelligence-powered search result customization". Because of this search result "customization", users are getting different feeds of information so they will always have different perspectives on certain views which can be helpful for some topics but more polarizing for others.

Staying off most major companies' sites is a great way to get away from most privacy infringing platforms. In regard to my own digital footprint, I did notice there were some things I needed to change in my own "online presence". I noticed I need to change is getting a VPN for my laptop.


As technology and media become advanced and more integrated with our daily lives, there is some debate on whether it brings more positives or negatives. 

With media becoming more advanced it makes it easier to communicate with others, stay on top of new developments with peers and family, and have sources better catered to users' needs. In today's society, whether most people like to admit it or not, media is nearly essential to communicate with others regardless of whether they like it or not. If it is not for personal or peer-related purposes, then it is work-related. Accessibility is key in media use and now people are accessible from many media platforms. If you wanted to make a business social media account to make yourself stand out more, you boost our image and make yourself visible to a wider audience, of those who might be interested in working with you. Even beyond usage for posting, data collection is favored by many who want a more accessible and user-centered platform. Comfort is a driving factor for tech company data tracking and is beneficial for both parties, the user and technology.
 
The darker side of technology and the role it plays in our lives is not just tech companies taking our data and how it affects us but also how users, as individuals are affected. Deciding whether to stay on or off of social media adds tension to the idea of the debate between Accessibility and Privacy. While some might rather have their information private, they are more likely to feel left out on interacting with others. In the position of a kid in school, being one of the only kids without Snapchat or Instagram could make a person feel lonely, missing out on everything that makes social media a media-wise inside joke and can add pressure onto a kid. Even beyond kids and adults, some might miss out on keeping up with friends who they can no longer reach and lose people over time. These problems create feelings of isolation and sometimes depression out of a lack of connection with others.

In evaluating how I interact with media as well as the impact on others, it is easier to come to a conclusive answer on what the balance would be between having media play a role in your life. Media is an important part of society and should be used by all that want to reap its benefits. At the same, being cautious and knowing what is at stake or knowing how to protect your data is equally as important in order to have a good relationship with media in our daily lives.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Sources


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Exam Post and Presentation

 Blog #11 Nathaniel Bryant April 30, 2021 Final Exam Post: My Digital Footprint ____________________________________________________________...